WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO TRYOUT?
Players must meet the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the Camp:
- Male: Bantam or Midget age as of the 2017/18 competitive season (born 2000 to 2004 inclusive).
- Female: Bantam or Midget age as of the 2017/18 competitive season (born 2000 to 2004 inclusive)
Note: Effective this year 2018 NAHC in the Female Category there are no longer overage players. This is direct reference to the original scope and vision for the National Aboriginal Hockey Championships to be a Bantam / Midget Championship.
- Resident of British Columbia and of Aboriginal ancestry (First Nations, Metis, Inuit).
- Registered with BC Hockey or another Hockey Canada Branch*. (*Please note, if you are a player who is not currently registered with BC Hockey, we can renew your membership for an additional fee of $40.00 as part of your Camp registration.)
WHAT IS THE CAMP FEE?
The registration fee for the 2018 season is $120.00 per player. Full payment must be received by Friday, March 30, 2018.
Payment cannot be paid in-person at the day of check-in. NO CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED.
CAN I PAY ONLINE?
The registration fee can be paid online via Paypal.
WHERE DO I MAIL PAYMENT?
All cheques or money order (made attention to Buzz Manuel) in the amount of $120.00 (payable to BCAAFC)
(attn: Buzz Manuel)
551 Chatham St
Victoria, BC V8T 1E1
Note: please include the athletes FULL NAME in the memo of the cheque of money order.
WHAT IS TEAM BC REFUND POLICY?
- Requests for refund must be received in writing to Buzz Manuel, Team BC Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If an athlete withdraws for any reason from their participation to attend the 2018 Player Selection Camp on or before Thursday, April 5th, a refund of $110.00 will be issued (a $10.00 administration and processing fee will not be refunded).
- If an athlete withdraws from their participation at the Player Selection Camp on or after April 6th, 2018, a refund will not be issued.
IF I AM SELECTED TO TEAM BC, WHAT IS THE TEAM BC FEE?
Team BC Fee is TBC. Every player registering for the Selection Camp is required to acknowledge the Team BC fee, it will be in the range of $500-$750 CND (TBD ASAP) and verify that should they be selected to Team BC, they will be prepared to submit their payment of the fee (in form of cheque or money order payable to BCAAFC) before end of day (5PM PST), Sunday, April 8th.
* Selection of Team BC players are made on Sunday, April 8th at the Camp. It is preferred that players named to Team BC provide the cheque for their Team BC fee on Sunday April 8th directly to Team BC Staff (i.e. come prepared to provide a cheque, so, should you be selected to the team you can pay your fee immediately).
WHAT DOES THE TEAM BC FEE COVER?
The Team BC fee includes 2018 NAHC registration fee, Team BC apparel, travel arrangements to Membertou NS are TBC, accommodations in Membertou, ground transportation to/from competition venue, breakfasts and dinners while in Membertou.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE TEAM FEE? (i.e. what additional monies may be required if I/my child made Team BC?)
Players need to make their own travel arrangements to get themselves to Vancouver for the team travel to Membertou and back home from Vancouver upon returning May 13th. If Team BC should travel via charters, any 'baggage fee' that may be required by the airline is the responsibiilty of the player. Meals needed en route to Membertou and on the return trip are the responsibility of the athlete (e.g. purchasing a meal for the plane ride). Players will also need to bring daily lunch money and any spending money they may wish to have.
WHAT IS THE PLAYER SELECTION CAMP SCHEDULE
Generally, check-in and on-ice sessions begin early to late Friday morning. First round of cuts are made as early as Saturday with final team selections made Sunday morning. Team BC first team practices are completed by the closure of the camp early afternoon on Sunday. The Camp schedule will be posted in March, however, depending on registration numbers when registration closes on March 30th, the schedule will be subject to adjustment.
DO BANTAM AND MIDGET ATHLETES COMPLETE IN TRY-OUTS TOGETHER?
Yes. Provinces/Territories enter teams comprised of the top bantam/midget aged players - one male and one female team per province/territory. All athletes are competing for the 20 female and 20 male positions.
IS BODY CHECKING PERMITTED AT THIS LEVEL OF CAMP?
MALES: At a provincial team level of minor hockey for bantam/midget, body checking is allowed to the extent permitted by Hockey Canada Playing Rules.
MY CHILD CANNOT ATTEND THE PLAYER SELECTION CAMP. CAN HE/SHE BE CONSIDERED FOR TRY-OUTS?
Athletes are highly encouraged to attend the Player Selection Camp. If a participant cannot attend the camp due to extreme circumstances, please email Buzz Manuel, Provincial Coordinator, Performance Sport at email@example.com to request an absentee application form. Please note, coaching staff are only permitted to consider absentee applications for extreme measure (e.g. conflict with a Provincial Team tournament) that have been first approved for consideration by the Provincial Aboriginal Hockey Committee.
MY CHILD DOES NOT POSSESS A STATUS CARD, TREATY CARD OR METIS CARD. CAN MY CHILD STILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE CAMP?
Participants can request Declaration of Ancestry Form. This form is provided for indiviudals who want to try out for Team BC for National Aboriginal Hockey Championships and who do not possess a Status/Treaty Card or Métis Card. Please note that in addition to completing the form, you must provide supporting documentation. This may include one of the following examples:
- A copy of parent's status card or Métis card accompanied by the athlete's long form birth certifiate (that names the parent on it)
- A letter from AANDC (Aboriginal Affairs) verifying their registration as Status Indian
- A letter from child's Band verifying Band membership/ancestry
- A letter from Metis Nation BC verifying membership/ancestry
DOES ISPARC OFFER TRAVEL SUBSIDIES FOR ATHLETES?
For more information about Team BC - NAHC, and the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity & Recreation Council,
Indigenous Sport, Physical Acitivity & Recreation Council
Provincial Coordinator, Performance Sport
1.800.990.2432 (toll-free) or C: 250.315.3457