Coast Lines, Memorial University's Book Club, was launched in 2020 with the aim of encouraging Memorial University alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends to connect through a common love of reading and of literature from Newfoundland and Labrador. Our mandate is to highlight the literature of this province and the strong connection between Memorial University and the Newfoundland and Labrador cultural community, both at home and away.
Our Coast Lines titles are selected by a committee that includes representatives from Memorial University Press, the Newfoundland Quarterly, the Signal Hill Campus, Alumni Engagement and the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Books should meet the following criteria:
- Author is a Memorial alumnus or has connection to Memorial (faculty member; honorary grad; etc.)
- Book is widely available including as an e-book and/or audio book (this is a criteria from our book club partner who handles the online platform)
- Book is (ideally) under $32.95 Cdn.
- Book can be either fiction or narrative non fiction
- Preference given to books with an emphasis on NL as a rapidly changing place and/or home to people of diverse backgrounds and ethnicities (relates to Memorial's increased focus on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Preference given to books published by established Canadian publishing houses as opposed to those that are self-published
If you are an author or publisher of a book that you would like the committee to consider as a potential Coast Line selection, please fill out the form below.
Thank you for your time and interest in Coast Lines!
*Please choose at least one fee before continuing