Taylor Mali is a ranting comic showman and literary provocateur.” —The New York Times
Our Keynote Speaker is New York City performance poet Taylor Mali, one of the most well-known poets to have emerged from the poetry slam movement and one of the original poets to appear on the HBO series “Def Poetry Jam.” He is a four-time National Poetry Slam champion and the author of four books, including “What Teachers Make: In Praise of the Greatest Job in the World.”
Since 1998, over one thousand people have become teachers after reading or listening to Taylor Mali’s passionate poems about his experiences teaching middle school, high school, and college. To mark the achievement, he donated 12 inches of his hair to the American Cancer Society. Please help me welcome the former voice of all Burger King commercials and a true advocate for teachers.
Finding Balance: Authentic Learning in a Digital Age
Jennifer is passionate about following student voice in order to address relevant social justice issues. She will share her journey of working with a group of students as they harness the power of technology, the support of their community and a multitude of cross curricular activities in order to become responsible citizens in their community.
Brenda is currently an educator with the Upper Grand District School Board, on secondment with the Ministry of Education in the 21st Century Learning Unit. Over the past 27 years, she has been a classroom teacher, special education teacher, technology coach, and, most recently, a vice-principal. She is a connected educator who has co-founded Minds On Media, develops and facilitates virtual professional learning for the Ontario Teachers’ Federation and has been a Connected Coach and a Community Leader with the PLP Network. Brenda teaches blended AQ courses about effective technology integration for Wilfrid Laurier University and co-designs and implements courses for TVO’s TeachOntario.
Jaclyn began her teaching career in Moosonee, ON and is currently a technology enabled learning and teaching contact with the Simcoe County District School Board. Over her 15-year career as an educator, Jackie has taught math, science, student success and alternative programs for First Nations and Métis students.
Jackie is very passionate about supporting teachers as they try new things, take risks and explore technology in the classroom. She is a self-professed Minds on Media groupie and loves that format of teacher learning.
Experienced Voices from Ontario Classrooms:
- Sarah Ashwood, Simcoe County District School Board
- Chelsea Attwell, Toronto District School Board, AML
- Julie Balen, Wikwemikong Board of Education
- Peter Beens, District School Board of Niagara
- Leslie Boerkamp, Bruce Grey Catholic District School Board
- Andrew Campbell, Grand Erie District School Board
- Greg Clarke, Simcoe Muskoka District School Board
- Heather Durnin, Avon Maitland District School Board
- Andrew Forgrave, Hastings & Prince Edward DSB
- Alanna King, Upper Grand District School Board
- Tim King, Upper Grand District School Board
- Ray Mercer, Toronto District School Board
- Lisa Noble, Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
- Jim Pedrech, London District Catholic School Board
- Michelle Soloman, Toronto District School Board, AML
- James Steeves, Peel District School Board
- Cameron Steltman, Halton District School Board
- Marie Swift, Simcoe County District School Board