As human beings, we all have the power to heal, guide, assist and protect ourselves and those around us. This ability can also bring about a greater understanding of who we are as part of our personal journey.
A tool used by many cultures around the world to foster that self-awareness is a healing bundle. Often associated with Indigenous Peoples of North America, this sacred tool and the items inside create an energy that provides guidance, good health, protection, teachings, and cultural traditions to the person who carries it and to those around them.
Whether we are a person who has an intellectual or developmental disability, a family member, or you represent a support organization, we all have the capacity to offer many unique gifts that can be a benefit to ourselves and others in our community. By giving or receiving these contributions, like the items in a healing bundle, greater respect, belonging, and valued social roles can then be fostered.
Community Living Ontario and its membership from the province’s northwest are excited to bring the 2019 AGM and Conference to the Valhalla Inn in Thunder Bay from September 18th to the 20th. The theme of this year’s conference is Pathways to Empowerment: Healing, Understanding, and Strength. Connect with friends and allies of the Community Living movement, and learn from others along the way who can support you and strengthen your personal development.
We are currently accepting proposals from speakers, thought leaders and collaborators for workshops, presentations and panel discussions on how to actively and effectively engage with our communities to address unmet needs, to challenge the status quo, and to build on integrated approaches that better our communities. Areas or topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Self-determination initiatives that support and promote people taking ownership of their lives, including health and wellness, relationships, citizenship, and self-employment;
- Families coming together around issues that promote a good life for their loved one;
- Employment options that showcase best practices for hiring and job readiness and facilitate opportunities for career advancement beyond entry-level positions;
- Partnerships involving youth and youth groups that inspire self-confidence, self-discovery, and leadership among young people;
- Housing options, strategies or collaborations that lead to homes of people’s own choosing;
- Educational strategies and innovative approaches that facilitate inclusive classroom learning for all students;
- Community participation that promotes engagement with our neighbours and the development of new relationships;
- Use of technology and creative supports that enable people to participate actively in their community.
How to apply
Fill out the form below. The deadline is Friday, April 19, 2019.
*Please choose at least one fee before continuing